Medieval Combat Society

EmailPrintExport ICS

Templecombe Medieval Pageant 2019

Event

Templecombe Medieval Pageant 2019
Title:
Templecombe Medieval Pageant 2019
When:
Sun, 2. June 2019, 10:00 - 17:00
Where:
Templecombe Village - Templecombe, Somerset
Category:
Special Event


Venue

Templecombe Village
Location:
Templecombe Village - Website
ZIP:
BA8
City:
Templecombe
State:
Somerset
Country:
United Kingdom

Description

Templecombe is a village in Somerset, England, situated on the A357 road five miles south of Wincanton, twelve miles east of Yeovil, and 30 miles west of Salisbury. The village has a population of 1,560. Along with the hamlet of Combe Throop it forms the parish of Abbas and Templecombe. Prior to the Norman Conquest Combe was held by Leofwine Godwinson. One part of the village was known as Abbas Combe which was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086–7 as Cumbe, when it was held by the church of St Edward, Shaftesbury. The other manor within the parish was held by Earl Leofwine but after the Norman Conquest was given to Bishop Odo of Bayeux. It was his descendant Serlo FitzOdo who granted it to the Knights Templar. The parish was part of the hundred of Horethorne. Templecombe derives its name from Combe Templariorum, after the Knights Templar who established Templecombe Preceptory in the village in 1185. After they were suppressed in 1312 it was granted to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem who held it until the Dissolution of the Monasteries, after which it was acquired by Richard Duke (d.1572) of Otterton, Devon. An attempt to discover 'the village of the templars' was made by the Time Team television series, in a programme first shown in 1996. Late in the investigation, an old tithe map revealed the location of the Templar site, and an old stone boundary wall was found to be still standing seven feet high.
The Manor House in the high street was built in the 17th century on the site of a medieval building. Richard Boyle, 1st Earl of Cork bought Temple Coombe Manor in 1637 for £20,000. The Earl already owned Stalbridge Manor in Dorset close by. The Earl of Cork also purchased Annery House near Bideford in 1640 for £5000.
Somerset by G.W. Wade and J.H. Wade (circa 1904) states, "Templecombe (or Abbas Combe), an inconsiderable village at the S.E. extremity of the county, with an important station on the S. & D. and L. & S.W. lines. The church is ancient but uninteresting, and seems to have been considerably altered. It contains a curious E.E. font. The tower is somewhat peculiar, and forms the S. porch. On the rising ground at the S. of the village are the remains of a preceptory of the Knights Templars, founded in the 12th century by Serlo Fitz-Odo. From this foundation the place takes its name. A long building, which was perhaps once the refectory, but which is now used as a barn, will be noticed abutting on a farm-house along the road to Milborne Port. In an orchard at the back of the farm are the ruins of a small chapel."
It was found by Time Team that the long building post-dated the Preceptory, having timbers dated to circa 1620; but that the chapel, since demolished, and with only footings remaining, was authentically Templar. The village hosts a yearly medieval festival

Registration:

Booked Places:
2
Your Registration:
The event must be published to allow registration.

leafborder